When you buy a new iPhone, most of the time, a new SIM card will be included in your purchase. A SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card is what makes it possible to send and receive text messages and phone calls. It is basically a tiny computer chip in the side of your iPhone that tracks and stores your data from texts to emails.
SIM cards also allow you to connect to internet services such as 3G, 4G, and 5G, also known as ‘data.’ Depending on the phone plan you choose, you can have as much or as little internet roaming as you need.
SIM cards can be replaced and switched between multiple iPhones. All iPhones since 2012 use nano-SIM cards, which is the smallest sim card available. Some smartphones still use micro-sim cards, so it is important to make sure you purchase the correct size so your sim card will work with your iPhone. Different models of iPhones use the same nano sim card, but the slots that hold the sim card trays are located in different areas on the actual phone.
It is also important to note that although the SIM cards are all the same, the trays they are held in can’t be switched between iPhones. For example, a SIM card tray in the iPhone 6 would not be able to fit in the slot for the iPhone 7 model.
You can still use an iPhone without a SIM card, but none of the calling, texting, or internet features will work. If you don’t have a SIM card, you can connect to Wifi (wireless internet) and download apps such as Whatsapp to communicate with friends or family. However, this can be inconvenient as you must be connected to an internet source to essentially do anything besides playing a game on your iPhone.
Today we will go over how to change SIM card on iPhone. It will be the same process regardless of what model iPhone you have. The only difference is that some of the newer models have spots for two SIM cards, but the process is relatively quick and easy to do, nonetheless.
How to Remove Your SIM Card Step by Step:
- What you will need: To open the SIM card tray and remove the SIM card, you will need either a SIM card eject tool or you can also use a paperclip. You could even use the straight back part of an earring if you can’t find a paperclip around the house. This is for the small hole on the outside of the tray.
- Pop tray open: If you decide to use the paper clip, unravel it until the paper clip is straight. Then using the small round end of the eject tool, push it into the small hole and press gently. Once you hear a click, the tray should open. If you find yourself using a lot of force, it might be best to take your iPhone to an Apple professional to change the SIM card.
- Remove SIM card: The tray will pop open, and you will now be able to see your SIM card. You can now take the old SIM card out if there was one; new iPhones will not have a SIM card already inside. The tray itself is also removable, so no need to panic thinking you broke the tray.
- Insert new SIM card: Your new SIM card should have a specific notch on the corner. This tells you how to insert it into the tray, similar to batteries. You will know when it fits correctly since it can only fit one particular way. Remember to use nano-SIM cards as micro-SIM cards cannot fit in iPhones. You also want to try to avoid touching the gold part of the SIM card, so no dirt or oils from your fingers smudge onto it.
- Push the tray back in: Now, simply push the tray back into the side of the iPhone. It will only fit in one direction, so place it in the same way you took it out. You should hear another click, and this will let you know that it is shut correctly.
Where is the SIM Card Tray?
Depending on the model of iPhone you have, the SIM card tray will be on different sides of the phone. Newer models also have spaces for up to two SIM cards. Two SIM cards can be helpful for people who often travel, as data and roaming fees can be different depending on what country you are in. This way, you can keep your existing SIM card and have your traveling SIM card already in place, ready to connect to a new network.
It also supports an entirely separate list of contacts but can be known to drain your battery a bit faster as it uses more power to power two different circuits. Let’s go over where the SIM card trays are, so changing your SIM card can be as fast and easy as possible.
For the iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max: The SIM card tray is located on the left-hand side, and they can hold up to 2 nano-SIM cards.
You can find the SIM card on the right side of the phone and hold up to two SIM cards for all of the following models:
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
All of the older models only have one tray and can be found on the right side, other than the original iPhone and iPhone 3G, which can be found on the top of the phone. Buying a new phone will always require changing the SIM card on the iPhone, and if you need to change phone numbers, you will need to swap it out as well. However, in between those moments, you can usually keep your SIM in the phone without ever thinking about it.